Triumph Thruxton Track Prep

I’ve cut back big time on my street riding over the last couple of years and the Thruxton has seen practically no riding over the last 2 years. I contemplated selling it over the winter time and came really close to letting it go, but my wife talked me out of it and I’m pretty happy she did.

While it’s certainly not going to be winning any races, I took a bit of the off season to get some maintenance done and upgrades to the bike. A lot of it was typical offseason maintenance, but I hadn’t realized how hold and tired some of the bike was. Carbs needed a rebuild, the gas had just destroyed a lot of the O-rings in the FCRs. The head stock bearings were completely knackered. The tach on the motogadget gauge had finally died and I replaced it with a Koso TNT04 gauge. Brakes were flushed and cleaned. Having never properly cleaned calipers, what a big difference it made. The other thing that made a huge difference was getting the front suspension refreshed. My local shop 612 Moto is AWESOME! I had always known something wasn’t right with the forks. They were always way too stiff, I would only get like 40% travel out of them. Turns out the last shop, which is no longer in business, used the wrong oil in the forks and filled them to the brim, so no wonder they didnt work right. Jack is the man there and we sourced correct weight springs and a full refresh and it makes a huge difference.

A major thing that needed sorting on the bike was the exhaust. The old D&D TT pipes, while the looked great offered NO cornering clearance. I always liked the Arrow Scrambler High Pipe and I thought that would be a good option to go road racing with, no issues with cornering clearance there. It took a few months to finally track one down, turns out they are quite hard to find. A&J Cycles helped my track a really nice set down.

It was short lived, I couldn’t sort the ergos. The exhaust is fine for standard foot controls, but with the rear sets my boots kept hitting the exhaust. I even machined some parts to move the rearsets to try and help and that just created different issues. While it looked great, the exhaust immediately came off. After talking with a Thruxton Cup rider, I sourced a British Customs 2-1 low exhaust through A&J Cycles. I think It will be my best option, at least for the time being. There are no more foot control issues and I think I’ll have plenty of ground clearance. It did end up requiring a grinder on the kick stand so that it didnt hit the exhaust when it was down

In a bit of a splurge and over excitement, I found the last Calfab Aluminum Braced Swingarm out there for the Triumph Thruxton. I doubt I’ll be able to push the bike hard enough to justify the purchase, but damn it sure looks good.

The guys at A&J Cycles gave me a heads up though, that there isn’t a chain guard to prevent chain rub. This was my excuse for finally picking up a 3D Printer, and what a good decision that has been. I designed a chain guard that could be 3D Printed and then simply bolted on without any modification to the swing arm

I also took the opportunity to re-gear the bike and do a 520 conversion. I suspect i’ll be making some gearing adjustments once I get to the track, I might end up running out of RPM down a long straight.

Last thing before its ready for its new track outing is new brakes. The front rotors are toast, the buttons squeek and squeel. I suspect the noise they just during tech inspection would cause it to fail. 612 Moto is sourcing some Braking Rotors and pads. Once they are installed, I might take one of my spare Brembo RCS19 master cylinders and install.

Anyone doing mid-atlantic track days, keep an eye out and come say hi

One thought on “Triumph Thruxton Track Prep

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s